Sunday, December 5, 2010
BBQ
My friends (Julie & Vince) from Salt Lake City came into town to help friends 'vend' at the Get Your Pig On BBQ contest. I wasn't sure about the details. WOW! What an experience! Julie's cousin is Kelly Wertz.....World Champion BBQ Sauce winner! I was able to watch this man work with ribs, chicken, brisket, burnt ends, and pulled pork. After he put together his competition boxes, I was allowed to sample the competition meat. WOW! He was impressed with my interpretation of the meat that he has recommended that I become a BBQ Judge. Now, isn't that hilarious! Gary always told me that I couldn't tell the difference between all of his BBQ. Kelly has been doing this for 8 years. They will be doing a cooking class on Feb 18 & 19 at Lake Havasu (www.havabbq.com), hosted by 4 Legs Up (owner --> Kelly Wertz). Also, Feb 24 is Judge's class, which I hope to attend....followed by a weekend of BBQ competition. I have asked Gary to take Dylan on Thursday that week through the weekend instead of breaking it up. If so, I'm going to Lake Havasu and become a BBQ Judge! :-) I purchased 6 racks of ribs, 6 lbs of brisket, and 6 lbs of pulled port. If you are reading this and you are interested in any of this, you know how to contact me. :-) This is not his competition meat, but it is incredible! Andrew and Dylan helped out (Dylan, only Saturday night, as Gary had plans and needed me to watch him - he got him back on Sunday morning at 9am and then dropped him off at 3:45pm - again, he had plans). Andrew learned from a master marketing / sales man - Vince. He worked the crowd to pull people in to purchase the BBQ meals. Then, when we broke things down, it was the fastest they were on the road. They want us to be there all the time. I'm now 'Sis' to Kelly and his wife - Roni. Andrew is known as "Monster Marine" as he was able to work huge deals with the guys working the Monster (drinks) tent. We ended up with a total of 5 case of Monster drinks. We got to bring home a case worth. I also have some of his BBQ sauce. Awesome!!!!! www.4legsupbbq.com They are based in Kansas but are in Arizona for competition 3-5 times a year.

No comments:
Post a Comment