Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Facebook - Kingdoms of Camelot

The body of Christ is far and wide.

I was spending too much time on Facebook. Predominately on a new game called Kingdoms of Camelot. I was spending anywhere from 2 - 10 hours / day playing the game. I couldn't control the fascination with the game. When your 22 yr old son tells you that you might be over doing it on a video game, you should probably pay attention to the comment. It is my own fault. I was seeking a 'thrill' or maybe trying to be young...or at least keep up with my kids.

In this game, you need to have 10 friends to play with you, to reach a 2nd city level. So, you usually be-friend strangers who are already playing the game vs pestering your existing friends to start the game.

The game is not bad. Facebook is not bad. How people manage it (or the lack there of) is where the fault exists.

As I mentioned before, I deactivated my Facebook account shortly after Gary told me he wanted a separation. I knew I needed to cut that application off, as I would never manage it. It was an addiction. I tried to reduce the time, but I always went back for more. My existing relationships with my husband and my children suffered. I think even my work suffered.

So, is this storm about Gary or is it about me? Is this happening to wake me up? I think in some ways it is.

As I was quitting the Kingdom of Camelot (KOC) game, one of my be-friended new friends reached out to me with her e-mail. I was part of a very chatty and supportive 'alliance'. Personal issues entered into the chat and I was amazed at the personal connection between almost strangers.

Darkness (aka Janet) was the gal who exchanged e-mails with me. She has checked in with me a couple of times and has offered incredible encouragement and support. She has stated that JaySin (aka Jason) and Barrington (aka Jim) also send their good thoughts. The group was comprised of very grounded teens (16, 17, 18 yr olds), early 20's and then there were us 'old farts' in the 40's. It was amazing to see the maturity, analytical strategy, and encouragement to recover from a failure from the teens. I was (the good kind of) shocked when I found out how old they really were after chatting with them.

Others shared their struggles with ex's, custody issues, death of a son, anger in general. It was amazing to see people rise to the occasion and witness. "I'll pray for you. We care about you."

Thank you, KOC family. I don't think I'll return to the game, as I don't know if I can control my time with it. It is so much fun and the Four Horsemen (nice alliance name eh?!) are a unique group. My prayers go to all of you. Please remember to keep your 'under your roof' relationships your first priority. The game can't be first. Hope my cities are nice farms for you. I know, probably too much food being generated vs wood, ore, and stone. Ride, horsemen and continue to be there for the alliance in the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment